This feature is only available in organization workspaces.
Datasets in Seqera Platform are CSV (comma-separated values) and TSV (tab-separated values) files stored in a workspace. They are used as inputs to pipelines to simplify data management, minimize user data-input errors, and facilitate reproducible workflows.
The most commonly used datasets for Nextflow pipelines are samplesheets, where each row consists of a sample, the location of files for that sample (such as fastq files), and other sample details. For example, nf-core/rnaseq works with input datasets (samplesheets) containing sample names, fastq file locations, and indications of strandedness. The Seqera Community Showcase sample dataset for nf-core/rnaseq looks like this:
Use Data Explorer to browse for cloud storage objects directly and copy the object paths to be used in your datasets.
The combination of datasets, secrets, and actions in the application allows you to automate workflows to curate your data and maintain and launch pipelines based on specific events. See here for an example of pipeline workflow automation using Seqera.
- Datasets reduce errors that occur due to manual data entry when you launch pipelines.
- Datasets can be generated automatically in response to events (such as S3 storage new file notifications).
- Datasets can streamline differential data analysis when using the same pipeline to launch a run for each dataset as it becomes available.
For your pipeline to use your dataset as input during runtime, information about the dataset and file format must be included in the relevant parameters of your pipeline schema. The pipeline schema specifies the accepted dataset file type in the
mimetype attribute (either
Dataset validation and file content requirements#
Seqera doesn't validate your dataset file contents. While datasets can contain static file links, you're responsible for maintaining the access to that data.
Datasets can point to files stored in various locations, such as Amazon S3 or GitHub. To stage the file paths defined in the dataset, Nextflow requires access to the infrastructure where the files reside, whether on cloud or HPC systems. Add the access keys for data sources that require authentication to your secrets.
Create a dataset#
All Seqera users have access to the datasets feature in organization workspaces. To create a new dataset:
- Open the Datasets tab in your organization workspace.
- Select New dataset.
- Complete the Name and Description fields using information relevant to your dataset.
- Add the dataset file to your workspace with drag-and-drop or the system file explorer dialog.
- For dataset files that use the first row for column names, customize the dataset view with the First row as header option.
The size of the dataset file must not exceed 10 MB.
Seqera can accommodate multiple versions of a dataset. To add a new version for an existing dataset, follow these steps:
- Select Edit next to the dataset you wish to update.
- In the Edit dialog, select Add a new version.
- Upload the newer version of the dataset and select Update.
All subsequent versions of a dataset must be the same format (CSV or TSV) as the initial version.
Use a dataset#
To use a dataset with the saved pipelines in your workspace:
- Open any pipeline that contains a pipeline schema from the Launchpad.
- Select the input field for the pipeline, removing any default value.
- Pick the dataset to use as input to your pipeline.
The input field drop-down menu will only display datasets that match the file type specified in the
nextflow_schema.json of the chosen pipeline. If the schema specifies
"mimetype": "text/csv", no TSV datasets will be available for use with that pipeline, and vice-versa.